StumbleUpon Toolbar Storing 500 Queued Pages Now?

If you are not familiar with StumbleUpon and its toolbar, there is a ‘Send to’ feature that allows you to send the page you are currently on to one of your mutual friends. The page you send will be queued into your friends StumbleUpon toolbar and the queued pages are shown before any regular pages through the StumbleUpon system.

There is a Red number that will appear just to the right of the Stumble button, on the left side of the toolbar. This number indicates how many pages your mutual friends have sent you and are in queue for you to see.

su toolbarcue StumbleUpon Toolbar Storing 500 Queued Pages Now? picture

Recently StumbleUpon decided to release a new ‘Share‘ feature through the site that would allow users to share pages with multiple friends at once through StumbleUpon’s website.

sharethis StumbleUpon Toolbar Storing 500 Queued Pages Now? picture

Needless to say that since they released this feature my queue indicator number has been stuck at a solid 99, which is the highest number StumbleUpon shows in its toolbar… at least it was the highest they normally show.

Today when I went to stumble a few more stories, I noticed that my toolbar was showing 500 pages in queue.

stumble 500 StumbleUpon Toolbar Storing 500 Queued Pages Now? picture

At first I thought it must be a mistake, so I decided to click the Stumble button and see what would happen. Instead of jumping back down to 98 as I expected it would, it went down to 499 and then continued to count down as I  stumbled more pages.

When I returned after a break and some lunch, the number had returned to 99 as it was previously and I have not see another number higher since that occurrence.

I know the cue is not actually limited at 99, as on numerous occasions I have worked it down into the 50′s, only to have it refresh back to 98 when I click the stumble button again. As I am quite confident some 50 more pages were not shared with me in a 10 minute time span, it must be holding more pages in cue than it shows you.

So I wonder if the 500 number I saw was really just some bug or glitch or if they are indeed intending to allow the queue to build and display that high of a number.

As there is no way to actually clear the queued pages and start fresh, I hope it was just a bug and they will not allow queued pages to get that backed up.

Anyone else seen a higher number than 99 in the StumbleUpon toolbar queue?

Comments

23 Responses to “StumbleUpon Toolbar Storing 500 Queued Pages Now?”

1. nono on April 25th, 2009 6:25 pm

2. Michelle on April 25th, 2009 6:41 pm

I get this all the time, usually spammers who want reviews. My total has never gone over the 99 mark, but like you said…you get it down to 50 and hey presto! its back at 99!
    This is so annoying because it stops me from stumbling pages from certain topics I enjoy…just keeps going back to the pages people have sent me. Most of which are those glitter graphic 'hello' pages or spammers. Ive stopped stumbling for that very reason, its become a bit of a chore now.

3. brentcsutoras on April 25th, 2009 6:52 pm

What I would like to see is some sort of 'dump cue' option that allows me to dump the cue.

4. Harsh Agrawal on April 25th, 2009 8:03 pm

That's a good news, coz If I miss stumble for 2-3 days..My inbox get full.
    Dugg for useful info

5. Dave on April 25th, 2009 8:35 pm

500? Good grief. And I think I have it bad with the # of shares I get ever since SU made it easier for people to share

6. Jamaipanese on April 26th, 2009 12:45 am

never had this "problem" and I hope I never will

7. Photoshop on April 26th, 2009 1:31 am

A "dump cue" option would be amazin, it's actually annoying.

8. Television Voyeur on April 26th, 2009 4:01 am

wow sounds like a lot of spammers. I don't use stumbleupon but if I had more time sounds totally cool so long as you can keep away from the spammers.

9. Mac on April 26th, 2009 5:39 am

after the rare vacation I just keep hitting the #button until my queue is clear. have to start Fresh!
    To answer your question, on a regular basis I have never seen a number over 100.

10. johnnydod on April 26th, 2009 6:00 am

Yerr I agree, lets lobby Stumbleupon for a dump cue, or a way to be able to see who has sent the pages waiting, so you can dump just the spammers

11. Robin on April 26th, 2009 12:45 pm

Every time I am sent a page I simply remove the sender from my friends and/or subscriptions and thumb the page down. It keeps the numbers in check :)

12. brentcsutoras on April 26th, 2009 4:17 pm

I think that is really a bad practice. There are plenty of users who are just sharing good content. They can only share with you if you have made them a mutual friend so just don’t add people as friends if they are really not.

13. Jake Matthews on April 27th, 2009 5:27 pm

i have never seen numbers this high and hope I do not. they should limit the queue. if the queue gets so high it would seem then you are only stumbling what's been sent to you rather than what has simply been tagged as content of interest within your interest areas.

it's a much different stumbling experience when you are looking at queued pages vs pages marked (tagged) as being in your areas of interest.

14. Alisha on April 29th, 2009 4:45 pm

I wish we could share a set of pages rather than just one at a time – for instance what if I have 5 really good tech pages I want to send my tech friends – it would be awesome to be able to send all 5 at once rather than 5 different shares. =)

15. Justin on May 2nd, 2009 9:35 pm

crazy 500!!?? wow I hope I never run into this situation…crazy

16. william on May 27th, 2009 6:38 am

Yes OMG I have the same situation right now, I have like 74 then down to 50 then oops back to 99 ! What the heck is going on.

I'll be using the stumble online bar that frees me from this crap, if not, I will stop using stumble.

thanks for sharing,Finally I know Im not alone !

17. brentcsutoras on May 27th, 2009 3:29 pm

It is probably one of the biggest complaints on StumbleUpon right now and I can only imagine that they will have to rethink the ‘Share’ concept.

18. monofsu on June 9th, 2009 2:53 am

Again all, please make sure you only befriend people you know and trust. Go back to your friends' list and clean them up. If you subscribe to a user's favorites, you will still be able to see what they liked and reviewed, but they will not be able to send you shares whenever they feel like.

19. Alka on July 19th, 2009 6:36 am

i haven't stumbled upon for few months now.. and the the pages sent by friends is always 99.. i mean no matter how many times i click it.. :-( .. some pages are just ridiculous and sent to me so many times.. I wish stumbleupon will come up with some option to delete these referred pages.. Just can't stand them.. I don seem to be able to stumbleupon other pages without these over.. :-( do i need to open a new account now.. ??

20. Denver on October 1st, 2009 10:48 am

i have the same problem! its soo annoying cos it ruins the stumble button right next to it. i seriously dont know how to fix this :(

21. JMom on October 11th, 2009 5:20 pm

I have 500 showing on my toolbar this morning too! And I thought it was hell trying to get through my 99 stumbles on queue! 500 on queue would kill me! lol! I do hope it is just a glitch.

22. Kamran Hashmi on November 8th, 2009 12:08 pm

I have got a similar problem. Anyone figured out how to stop the spammers….

23. Daniel on November 9th, 2009 4:54 am

Found ya while looking for a solution to clear all stumble queues.

I don't think any solution's found till date right? :(