Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers… Snack or Marketing Genius

I love it when I see a company do something unique and inventive to market themselves and their product.

Today I got a knock at the door and was greeted by my local FedEx guy, who had a package containing chocolate covered grasshoppers inside.

dscf2138 1024x768 Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers... Snack or Marketing Genius  picture

I am always a little skeptical when I get food in the mail, especially when it doesn’t say who it is from or have any note, so I decided to Twitter about it and see what people would say.

A few seconds later I got a reply from @grasshopperbuzz, the twitter account for Grasshopper, saying they sent the grasshoppers and providing two links to videos that explain the reason behind the gift.

grasshopper tweet Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers... Snack or Marketing Genius  picture

The first was for a FoxNews story about the marketing campaign from Grasshopper.com.

0 Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers... Snack or Marketing Genius  picture

The second is for their promotional video which explains more about their goal as a company.

0 Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers... Snack or Marketing Genius  picture

Not only did they come out with a good tactic, as chocolate covered grasshoppers are related to their brand, not too extreme, and yet still interesting enough to grab peoples attention, but they also appealed to peoples vanity by announcing that they were only sent to the 5000 most influential people in the US.

So congrats to Grasshopper on a really good campaign and of course… thanks for the snack.

Flickr Video

Comments

14 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers… Snack or Marketing Genius”

1. Dwight Zahringer on May 12th, 2009 8:59 pm

Wow, great campaign, and they are obviously getting the "buzz" (no pun intended) with this. You wrote about it, and ya, you pointed out all the elements that will make this a great buzz online for them. I know it inspired me to be creative….

2. Jake_Matthews on May 12th, 2009 10:05 pm

very cool and creative – were the grasshoppers nasty? ha!

3. brentcsutoras on May 12th, 2009 10:15 pm

Actually they were not too bad. They were just rather crunchy but otherwise tasted like chocolate.

4. Bob on May 13th, 2009 3:15 pm

I don't care how slick their marketing is….the yuck factor is way too strong to overcome any fancy marketing. They need to sell these things in a country where people are more open to eating bugs. I don't think eating bugs will ever become mainstream in the US. It'll always be a niche thing.

5. Joe L on May 14th, 2009 8:38 pm

@Bob: They're not selling chocolate-covered grasshoppers.

6. Susan Perry on May 16th, 2009 8:58 am

I get all kinds of marketing promotions that I do not have time for. However, this was genius. I could not resist checking out their website.

7. Lyndsay Babl on June 8th, 2009 12:47 pm

I'd like to see the complete list of the 5,000 most influential people! Their site has a page dedicated to it, but there is no list (from what I could find).

8. Lyndsay Babl on June 8th, 2009 1:03 pm

I checked out their website just from hearing about other people getting the grasshoppers. Definitely a ripple effect too.

9. brentcsutoras on June 8th, 2009 1:42 pm

I agree. They should also link out to them all. J

10. Rajj on July 30th, 2009 6:26 am

yah this is really coool, no wonder grasshopers in bag, that's insane

11. Alexandria on January 8th, 2010 2:36 am

Where do u get the chocolate grasshoppers?

12. brentcsutoras on January 8th, 2010 11:21 am

You cannot. Was purely a marketing campaign and only specific people where sent the grasshoppers. Sorry.

13. Alex on January 26th, 2010 1:58 am

Where do u get those chocolate coverd Grasshoppers?

14. Sequoia McDowell on September 7th, 2010 9:23 am

I watched the promotional video, and I have no clear understanding of what this company does. "Entrepreneur something" is the best I can come up with. I suppose I'm not the target demo and if I were, I would be driven to learn more by visiting their site, but there's something to be said for letting people know what you do/offer. Who knows, maybe if I knew what they offered, I'd be more interested right now!